The 2016 Great Read presents "Made in Illinois" art contest
Plainfield-area artists of all ages are invited and encouraged to take part in the 2016 Great Read community literacy program’s “Made in Illinois” art contest.
The 2016 Great Read program explores the music, culture, literature, films and all things unique about Illinois. Click here for an entry form.
Plainfield-area community members are encouraged to read any books about Illinois and take part in the Great Read’s many fun, historical and educational programs dedicated to this year’s subject.
Artists from pre-kindergarten through adult can submit entries in any medium depicting “Illinois”. Entries can be up to two feet high and wide, and weigh up to five pounds. Digital entries of up to 2½ minutes long can also be submitted.
The top winner in each of the three age groups – Prek-5th; 6th-12th; and 18 and older – will win a $50 Barnes and Noble gift card.
Entries must be dropped off at the artist’s local library by April 1, 2016. Participating libraries include:
- Plainfield Public Library -- 15025 S. Illinois St., Plainfield
- Fountaindale Public Library -- 300 W. Briarcliffe Road, Bolingbrook
- Shorewood-Troy Public Library -- 650 Deerwood Drive, Shorewood
- Joliet Public Library, Black Road Branch -- 3395 Black Road, Joliet
- Joliet Public Library, Main Branch – 150 N. Ottawa St., Joliet
- Joliet Junior College Library – 1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet
- Lemont Public Library – 50 E. Wend St., Lemont
- The White Oak Library, Romeoville Branch – 201 W. Normantown Road, Romeoville
- The White Oak Library, Lockport Branch – 121 E. 8th Street, Lockport
- The White Oak Library, Crest Hill Branch – 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill
All entries will be digitally displayed and winners will be announced at The Great Read’s Grand Finale at 6 p.m. Thursday, April 28, 2016 at the White Oak Public Library, 201 Normantown Road, Romeoville.
All artwork must be picked up between April 28 and May 6, 2016 at the artist’s local library. Artwork not picked up by 4 p.m. May 6, 2016 will be recycled.
The Great Read is proudly presented by the Plainfield School District 202; the Plainfield, Fountaindale, Joliet, Lemont, Shorewood-Troy and White Oak public libraries; Joliet Junior College; Plainfield Township; and the Joliet Barnes and Noble store.
The Great Read is also supported by generous grants from the Plainfield Foundation for Excellence, the Friends of the Plainfield Public Library, with additional funding from Plainfield Township, the Joliet Barnes & Noble and Voyager Media.
Please see The Great Read web site for additional contest rules and submission requirements: www.greatread.org